Friday, September 13, 2019

4A - Forming An Opportunity Belief

I think their is an unmet need in regards to people who are unhappy within their lives and preventing it. Anyone can have this need but not everyone in my opinion. I feel like their is more people that are happy than being unhappy but I could be wrong. I feel like this need has always existed but it is also new. New to the people that have never been unhappy in their lives before. I believe people are meeting this need when they are doing something they love to prevent situations like this or other ways they can think of. I will say that 25% of this opportunity exists in the population.

#1 - Jose (college student at SCF)

  • Have you ever been unhappy at one point in your life? Not really but I'm sure at one point I will because of how life goes.
  • When did you become aware of this need? I guess as grow older you start to realize stuff and how life treats you sometimes. 
  • Is it all the time? It's only certain times. Only when things do not go your way in life.
  • What do you do to prevent this from happening? I play soccer with my friends or come to watch them play. I spend time with them.  
  • Are you happy with your solution? I mean yeah, it helps me take my mind off it. 
  • Who do you think has this need? Everyone or certain people? I think everyone has this need because not everything goes the way you want to go.
  • Has this always existed? Yes.
#2 - Johan (Soccer player)

  • Have you ever been unhappy at one point in your life? Yes I have, just recently as well. All because of relationship I had with a woman that I known for a long time now.
  • When did you become aware of this need? I became aware of this need when I was 17 years old. 
  • Is it all the time? I think it's only certain times of the year when certain things happen in your life.
  • What do you do to prevent this from happening? I communicate with close friends and most importantly family. 
  • Are you happy with this solution? I mean it's the only solution in my opinion.
  • Who do you think has this need? Everyone or certain people? I think certain people have this and not everyone because of certain reasons in life.
  • Has this always existed? No, I think it's something new. As time goes by you get older and it gives you more a reason to be unhappy in life.
#3 Michael (U.S marine)

  • Have you ever been unhappy at one point in your life? Yes, ever since I join the marine corps I've been unhappy and it continues to this day.
  • When did you become aware of this need? I became aware of this need when I actually started the marine corps. It was in boot camp when I realized that I made a mistake. I did not like it from that point on. It made me unhappy with my new life as a marine.
  • Is it all the time? Yes, it's all the time because I am nowhere near my friends and family. I have no one but my wife but that's not enough at times. I live in Japan, it gets very lonely out here. 
  • What do you do to prevent this from happening? I drink. I use to drink all day and everyday but I cut back now. I only drink on the weekends now. I started to workout again as well. 
  • Are you happy with this solution? With the drinking part, no, but with the working out part then yes.
  • Who do you think has this need? Everyone or certain people? Everyone who is a marine.
  • Has this always existed? No, it is new but only when you make a mistake in life that makes it unhappy for yourself.
Reflection - One thing I learned is that most of the interviewers became aware of the situation as they grew older in age or when they start to realize how life is. Another thing I learned is that it happens more than once in their lives. Being unhappy comes back to your life again for many other reasons. I felt like almost everyone had the same response as well.

Summary - I think the opportunity is still there but much larger than what I expected. I did not think it will be this big of a unmet need. Almost everyone has this unmet need at one point in their lives. I felt like I was less accurate about the situation before I began the interviews with the people. Many of them have a different way of solving their unmet need. Some take a positive route while others take the negative way out of it. 

1 comment:

  1. I find your post very true, people aren't aware of the amount of people who suffer from mental illness. I also agree there is plenty of opportunity in the field, I lost a close friend of mine who was suffering from mental illness. Keep doing research to help find a cure to this horrible illness. I really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete